Monday, June 11, 2012

Kimbra - Vows

A young woman from New Zealand is thrust into the spotlight due to the helping hand she lent for Gotye. Kimbra is not a poor wayfaring stranger and very much somebody that you are going to know!. :P I know, lame joke. But seriously, this woman can sing and its a breath of fresh air compaired to the stuff I normally hear on the radio. With Vows we are treated to a throwback to some motown, soul infulenced tunes. We get a nice start with "Settle Down" is a little treat that Kimbra shows her vocal style. "Cameo Lover" sounds like a euro soul song that I feel I could dance to on American Bandstand. I absolutely love this song. It's fun, upbeat. Try not bopping your head along. "Old Flame" is an odd track but has that landscape of 80's etherialness to it. Makes it special to have it on the album. All these tunes have an old time sound to them that just works. Esp for her. "Withdrawl" is incredibly sexy and what a head turner. She sings with an elegance that is held by some great soul singers. I think Kimbra is best when singing songs such as "Withdrawl". I like to combine listening to this album along with Little Jackie's "The Stoop", another great throwback to soul and funk music. I think the best tracks are "Settle Down", "Good Intent", "Withdrawl" and "Call Me" but you all go ahead and be the judge! So I challenge people to listen and hold Kimbra's "Vows" to your heart. This is an album that is a great listen with lots of fun upbeat tracks to the slow, ready for love tracks. Her videos are great too. Check out on Youtube videos for "Settle Down" and "Good Intent".

1 comment:

Ryansmudd said...

A good review. Look forward to more.