Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Keep It Dark



I felt like I needed to post about this song because of all the UFO sightings going on around the world and everything falling apart around us. I think I needed to reconnect to my feelings on the world outside.

The song tells the tale of a man who was kidnapped by aliens and taken to a world "full of people and hearts filled with joy" as he sings along, but lies to the people at home about where he was taken: "I wish, that I could really tell you. All the things that happened to me and all that I have seen."

For those of you Genesis fans, this song is one of my favorites. The atmosphere around this song is just fantastic. This song soars! A bit of trivia for you: This song is one of few songs where Phil sings in falsetto and that the song is in a 3/2 time signature. But who I am blogging about is not the Genesis version. This is about Simon Collins, son of Phil Collins who made a very impressionable cover of one of his father's songs. I wasn't quite sure if I would like a cover of this song as it is such a strong song.

In the original, a nice guitar arrangement sweeps around the interweaving synths that accompany the drum beat and bass line which is so tight it melds with the drums. In this cover, Simon's singing is very much like his father's but for a younger generation. We still have the same synchopated guitar playing and the interweaving synths but much more. I almost expect to hear someone else singing but then Simon pulls me back to him. This electronic rock sound spectacular is beautiful and a great driving song. Simon has a knack of making music just as full of feeling as his father.

A futuristic song for a generation of people waiting to be taken to a place yet to be seen. Sounds funny huh? I guess I will just sit under the stars with this playing and hoping for the stuff yet to come.

No comments: